Sunday, November 16, 2008

Mommy's Labor Story

Hello Maia...

After a month, Mommy is now going to tell her labor story. Just so years from now, when you are able to read, you will know the events that took place before she delivered you.

Friday night, Mom and Dad went out to dinner to celebrate their wedding anniversary early. Daddy picked Racks since he had been dreaming of eating succulent baby back ribs for sometime now. Mommy yielded since she herself wanted to binge on something during this last few weeks of her pregnancy. Truth be told, she had voluntarily put herself on a strictly vegetable overloaded diet since the doctor confirmed your existence, and now she's really missing all the bad stuff that she had been eating then. And today, Daddy's letting her eat what she wants. She just had to stay low on bad carbs though and sugar since they don't want to worry about diabetes the last minute.

After dinner, Mom and Dad windowshopped a bit. Taking note of some stuff they're still missing on your layette. Mommy was really enjoying herself but they had to cut their date short because it was running late and at this point she also gets tired pretty fast. Her feet could not take on the weight anymore since you've grown really big and heavy. So at around 9pm they headed home.

They slept early since Mommy was already pretty tired. At around 430 am the following day, Mommy felt something gush out of her. She initially shrugged off the thought of going to the bathroom because she was thinking it was just a heavier than usual discharge and it was nothing to worry about. But then she started feeling some cramps on her tummy so she went on to check. And you know what came out? A bloody discharge! It was probably the mucous plug already. Mommy panicked a bit but was able to collect herself almost immediately. She proceeded to wake up Daddy but he would not budge. So Mommy just went back to bed. She was still sooo sleepy afterall.

But at around 530, Mommy was already having regular contractions. She timed it and it was around 10mins apart. Pain was still bearable though. They lasted just about 5-10secs and that's chicken pain for Mommy. But then, she's now really wishing she could talk to somebody.

Since grandma left for Antique a few days earlier, it was only her and Daddy at home. She does not want to panic at this point though so she just texted Doc Chie just to let her know the mucous plug has dislodged. Then she texted grandma, kika Tabby, kika Isah and Mommy Ninang. But since it's pretty early, she was not really expecting anybody to respond. To her relief though, Mommy Ninang replied after a few minutes. Mommy wanted to shout for joy knowing somebody's already awake.

At around 7am, the contractions were a lot stronger and painful. They are now 5 minutes apart. Doc Chie told Mommy to go the hospital already. Mommy Ninang and Daddy Ninong came to fetch Mom and Dad and drive them to the hospital. It was really a blessing to have Mommy Ninang and Daddy Ninong around. They were always there for Mommy and Daddy.

930am, they arrived at Las Pinas Doctors and waited for Doc Chie. She came at around 10am and examined Mommy. She told Mommy she was already 2cm dilated. She went on to write Mommy's admitting orders and instructed Mommy and Mommy Ninang to proceed to the ER already so Mommy can be prepped up for admission. Everything went so fast after that Mommy hardly had time to process the reality that you are already coming out!

When we reached the ER, the staff proceeded to prepare Mommy for your delivery. They stripped off Mommy's clothes and forced her wear their horrendous hospital gown. Mommy had no choice but to follow orders though. And besides, Mommy was already in pain she could not complain anymore. Good thing, Mommy Ninang was there to massage her tummy. At around 11am, Mommy said bye-bye to Daddy and Mommy Ninang and she was brought up to the Labor room already. All throught out, Mommy was never scared. She was more excited to see you she had no time to think of scary thoughts.

When the nurse wheeled Mommy in, the room was still empty. Mommy was glad she had the nurses and the room all to herself. She made a mental note though to never shout nor cry. She knew she had to save her energy for the finale. What she did was to keep texting family and friends. She made sure Daddy is updated of what's happening. She was informed by the nurses that she was going to be internally examined every two hours to check on the progress of her cervix.

At around 2pm, Mommy felt really dizzy. She threw up. It was probably due to the pain she was experiencing. It was also around this time when company arrived. She was wheeled in right beside Mommy. At around this time Mommy was 3-4 cm dilated already. The dilation is slow, but she's thankful there is still progress.

The nurses kept asking Mommy if she wanted epidural. But since you are coming earlier than she expected, she had not discussed the mode of anesthesia that she was going to get with Doc Chie. Now, she cannot decide if she's going to get one. But she knows she can still handle the pain. So she asked the nurse how much time she still has to decide. And she was informed that she had to get it before she reaches 6cm otherwise the epi will not work as expected anymore.

But when Mommy reached 6cm at around 5pm, she was still smiling. The nurse told her, "6cm ka na Ma'am, nakangiti ka pa rin...tiisin mo na lang. Kaya mo na yan!" The words were like morale boosters for Mommy. The sort of lifted her spirits since fright was starting to creep in at this point. Mommy's really glad they allowed her to bring her phone with her she's still getting enough encouragement from her friends and of course from the family.

Pain was progressing that by 7pm, Dra. Rabano (mommy's anesthesiologist) decided to pump some Novaine on Mommy so she can go to sleep. This made Mommy really groggy. After that, Mommy's memories were blurry. Her consciousness would go on and off. But she vowed not to push until she sees Doc Chie's face so she was still praying that you will hold on also.

At some point, Mommy already lost track of time. She only heard somebody yell 9cm and Dra Rabano was already beside Mommy and coaching her how to push. When somebody said she's already fully dilated, Mommy was soooooo happy to see it was Doc Chie standing in front of her. But then, when Mommy tried to push the first time, she was really having so much difficulty. Doc Chie decided to find a bigger nurse to help Mommy push. After 4 tries, you finally came! Whew...Mommy just waited for you to move and she fell asleep. Hay. But it was a great feeling to deliver you baby. Mommy will never exchange that for anything in the world.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...