Protected by Copyscape Plagiarism Checker

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

On Motivation

The kid tested my patience again this morning. A quarter past the school year and I honestly thought we have already established some sort of rhythm with regards to doing homework and other school duties. I wasn't the type who like forcing things so I strategized on making homework sessions interesting instead. And it was. During the first 2 months, that is. Then Habagat came and there were weeks in August where the kid would only be in school for a day or two and be out of it the rest of the week. She felt the freedom of being able to play anytime she wanted. And that was it. 

Today, she told me she doesn't want to be in school anymore. I asked her thrice and she consistently said NO. WHAT AM I TO DO? I told myself I will be lenient when it came to school issues. That I would willingly pull her out of school when she comes to me complaining about how burdensome school work is. But three months into our venture into the world of pre-schooling, I realized that at a certain degree this experience is teaching our little girl about discipline, independence and communication in a way that I might not really be able to teach as a parent. Exposure to the outside world is an inevitable thing. And I deeply believe that her school can hone her to be a survivor. I had to keep her continuously motivated though. And that's where my dilemma lies. How do I tell if I was just doing enough or have been pushing too much already? In the past 3 months, I never had to push actually. I always came home to a completed homework which was always handed over to me for checking with great pride. 

But today I found myself in a difficult situation. I felt my fear of Maia getting tired of school was realized. I froze at the thought. But I'm glad I had my husband behind me. He helped bail me out of it by telling me to take a break and try again later. I did. And it worked. Thank God for supportive husbands and daddies like ours. So we were able to start anew with homework duties and finish it just in time. How we finished it was a different story altogether but what was important is we accomplished what was needed today. Tomorrow will take care of itself. Sigh.


Are you a preschooler parent? Have you ever found yourself in a similar situation as mine? Were you able to come to a win-win solution? I would greatly appreciate if you could share your experience.

7 comments:

Irene Felix said...

hi faye...same here. sometimes, we need not to force our little ones to do their homework, that's also my husband's advice, take a break and sometimes, my hubby will teach him na lang sa homework then rest muna ako. the following day ako na uli :)

Jeng Aquino said...

Nakupow! Paano na nga kaya pag nasa big school na si Naomi? Eto nga lang sa pre-school eh nung time na matagal syang absent may assignment din. Pahirapan tapusin. Honestly, may times na naubos talaga pasensya ko at nagsungit ako kay Naomi. Naalala ko tuloy sabi ni teacher, during one of the parent-teacher conference, don't pressure raw Naomi and make the practice writing/reading fun raw. Haist, challenge talaga. Kasi kung iisipin mo paano pag due na talaga homework pero ayaw nila gawin? Palagi na lang bang wait til they are ready to do it? Hihihihi mommy dilemmas :) Happy parenting to both of us! :D

Faye Paras said...

thanks I! actually okay lang ang homework. medyo na bother ako biglang outright umayaw na sa school :( ibig sabihin hindi na fun ang school? huhu

Faye Paras said...

haist at least i can take comfort from the fact na hindi ako nag iisa! hahaha. preschooler mommies unite!

Erlaine said...

hi faye! kelsea loves school naman. Nakokontian nga sa homework na binibigay. gusto nang sagutan yung books nya hehe. but may times na kapag writing ang homework, madali siyang ma-bore. for example, write small letter m's sa notebook. 5 lines yun pero after the 2nd line, ayaw na daw nya. hindi ko mapilit kasi pag pinilit ang pangit ng gawa or handwriting. what i do is, stop na muna then i let her do her activity books that i bought for her. mas enjoy cya dun kesa sa writing ng letters or numbers ng paulit ulit. but kapag name naman nya ang sinusulat nya, gusto naman nya. bakit daw ayaw na ni maia ang school? or baka ang ayaw nya is yung homework?

Faye Paras said...

thanks erl! natakot lang ako baka school fatigue this early. pero kanina naman nag usap kami sabi naman nya upset lang sya yesterday. araw araw kasi talaga ang homework nakakapagod nga naman.

MamaMia said...

I have a child in grade 2 and I do feel your pain. Until now, we still have bouts of organization and learning the value of doing homeworks independently. So, keep calm and carry on is my motto now. :) Nice blog, btw.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...